(Bologna 1882 - San Marino 1960)
An Allegory of Fame, in Honour of Giuseppe Verdi
A printed portrait of Verdi inserted into an oval opening at the top of the sheet.
Inscribed (signed?) R. FRANZONI on the verso.
Inscribed GIUSEPPE VERDI - BUSSETTO 1813 – MILANO 1901 in the margin of the oval portrait of Verdi.
Further inscribed with the titles of Verdi’s operas along the top and right edge of the sheet.
Inscribed massima lunghezza / del cliche cm. 12 1/2/ in proporzione la / larghezza massima cm. 7 at the lower right.
280 x 184 mm. (11 x 7 1/4 in.)
In 1908 Franzoni decorated the Rizzi chapel in the cemetery of the Certosa in Bologna, with an elaborate decorative scheme involving painting, stucco, glass and ironwork, all in an Art Nouveau style. In 1914 he painted tempera panels for rooms in the Palazzo Ronzani in Bologna, and also later worked on the decoration of the Palazzo Saraceni and the Credito Fondario in Bologna. As well as paintings and drawings, Franzoni produced designs for film and travel posters, stamps, and the applied arts. He spent the last years of his career in the republic of San Marino, where he designed a large number of the country’s stamps. It was also in San Marino that, in 1960, the first one-man exhibition of Franzoni’s work was held, shortly after the artist’s death in January of that year. Although a second comprehensive exhibition was held at the Galleria del Caminetto in Bologna in 1967, Franzoni remains relatively little-known today, particularly outside Italy.