Achille Laugé (1861 - 1944)
The Port of Collioure Sold
Pastel on paper, in two parts, each laid down on two separate canvases. One signed and dated Laugé 1928 at the lower right.Each canvas: 382 x 550 mm. (15 x 21 5/8 in.)Overall: 382 x 1121 mm. (15 x 44 1/8 in.)ENQUIRE
Beginning in 1926, Achille Laugé spent the months of June to October working in the fishing village of Collioure, in the foothills of the Pyrenées close to the Spanish border. This isolated village had been popular with artists since the early years of the 20th century; André Derain, Paul Signac and Henri Matisse had all depicted the town in their early paintings, and later artists such as Henri Martin were living and working in Collioure at the same time that Laugé was painting there. The fishing port was dominated by the distinctive tall bell tower that is believed to have been originally built as a lighthouse by Arabs.Laugé produced a number of paintings and pastels of the port of Collioure. The present pair of pastels are studies for a pair of larger paintings which remained together until 1996 and are today in separate private collections. The pastels differ from the paintings mainly in the absence of a sailboat in the left hand pastel, which appears in the larger painted version. A related pastel view of Collioure, of identical dimensions to each of these two works, was on the London art market in 1966.
Private collection, France.
Nicole Tamburini, Achille Laugé: le point, la ligne, la lumière, exhibition catalogue, Carcassonne and elsewhere, 2009-2010, p.84, under no.54 (as location unknown); To be included in the forthcoming catalogue raisonné of the works of Achille Laugé in preparation by Nicole Tamburini.