Friedrich Wilhelm SCHWINGE (Hamburg, 1852 - Hamburg, 1913)
Friedrich Wilhelm Schwinge studied at the Kunstakademie in Düsseldorf between 1878 and 1884, first with Hugo Crola and Heinrich Lauenstein, and later in the studios of Peter Janssen and Eugen Dücker. In 1885 he settled in Hamburg, where he joined the local association of artists, the Hamburger Künstlerverein. The following year, the Kunstverein purchased a watercolour from the artist; the first of several acquisitions from his studio over the next few years. Active as a landscape and marine painter and draughtsman, Schwinge regularly exhibited his paintings, gouaches and watercolours at the Kunstverein between 1886 and 1910, sometimes in considerable numbers. In 1900, for example, he exhibited a total of twenty-two works, while the 1908 Kunstverein exhibition included thirteen pictures by Schwinge. These were mainly views of the countryside around Hamburg, as well as landscapes in the Lüneburg Heath, scenes on the river Elbe, as well as snow scenes and some marine subjects. The artist also produced a handful of landscapes of views in Holland, Norway, Sweden, Italy and Scotland. Among his few public works are scenes of the forest of the Hamburger Walddörfer for the town hall of Hamburg, while in 1906 he received a commission from the Hamburg-South American Steamship Company for painted murals for the ship König Friedrich August. Works by Schwinge are today in the collections of the Altona Museum, the Kunsthalle and the Archäologisches Museum in Hamburg, as well as the Stadtisches Museum in Braunschweig and the Museum Lüneburg.