Marseille 1805 - Paris 1888
Admitted into the studio of Baron Gros at the Ecole des Beaux-Arts in 1825, François Ferogio worked mostly in pastel and watercolour, usually on a fairly small scale. He exhibited regularly at the Salons between 1831 and 1880, and also produced lithographs, designs for faience and book illustrations. Among the latter were a series of seventy vignettes for the Comtesse de Ségur’s Les bons enfants, published in 1862, and illustrations for Théodore Barrau’s Amour filial, published in 1880. A large group of drawings by Ferogio, including landscapes, historical and genre scenes, is in the Musée Fabre in Montpellier, while paintings by the artist are in the museums of Montpellier and La Rochelle.