Pietro Giacomo PALMIERI
Bologna 1737 - Turin 1804
Active as both a painter and printmaker, Pietro Giacomo Palmieri was a pupil of Ercole Graziani at the Accademia Clementina in Bologna. His earliest known works are a series of landscape prints, after his own designs and those by other artists, which were published in 1760. Palmieri soon established a reputation as an engraver, working in a manner that reflected the influence and inspiration, in terms of both style and composition, of such 17th century masters as Jacques Callot, Stefano Della Bella, Salvator Rosa and Giovanni Benedetto Castiglione. Similar stylistic tendencies can also be found in his drawings. Palmieri was a member of the academies of Bologna and Parma, and taught at the latter. He spent some years in Paris in the 1770’s, and also visited England, Spain and Switzerland before settling in Turin in 1778. There he worked for the Savoy court, both as an artist – in 1781 he was named draughtsman to Vittorio Amedeo III of Savoy - and as curator of the Royal collection of drawings. In 1802 he was appointed a professor of drawing at the academy in Turin.