(Munich 1825 - Munich 1909)
A Grove of Olive Trees near Tivoli
Signed, dated and inscribed Tivoli, L. Th. 1851. at the lower left.
Further signed(?) and inscribed Ludwig Thiersch / (a.e. Nachlass(?) konvolut [?] des Bauerin(?)) / [?] [?] on the verso.
326 x 480 mm. (12 7/8 x 18 7/8 in.) [sheet]
Drawings by Thiersch are quite rare, although around a hundred drawings and oil sketches by the artist are in the collection of the Suermondt-Ludwig-Museum in Aachen, which mounted an exhibition of them in 1979. A small number of Thiersch’s travel sketchbooks are in the Staatliche Graphische Sammlung in Munich, while several sketches for ecclesiastical projects are in the Bayerische Staatsbibliothek in Munich.
Thiersch became well known, and highly respected, as an ecclesiastical painter. His work for churches throughout Europe was often the result of commissions from the wealthy Greek diaspora. In Vienna he painted frescoes in the neo-Byzantine Greek orthodox Holy Trinity church at the Fleischmarkt in the Innere Stadt between 1856 and 1858, while in 1860 in Saint Petersburg he worked in the Protestant church of Saint Catherine, and later painted several works for churches in Germany and painted icons for Greek Orthodox churches in London and Paris. He also produced easel pictures for private patrons, notably the Greek-Austrian philanthropist Simon von Sina and the Ottoman-born banker Demetrius Stefanovich Schilizzi.