(Breslau 1815 - Berlin 1905)
On the Mountainside
Signed A. M. at the lower centre.
Inscribed Dr. Wolfson / Hamburg and numbered 806 in blue chalk on the backing board.
Numbered M428 in green chalk and N 98 in blue chalk on the backing board.
A printed label with K. H. / 314 on the backing board
247 x 327 mm. (9 3/4 x 13 1/4 in.)
Menzel’s spent the summers at Hofgastein with his sister Emilie, her husband Hermann Krigar, and their two children, Gretel and Otto. As Agathe Herrmann noted, ‘Menzel lived with his family in the so-called Gärtnerhaus, where my father had a large studio built, from whose windows Menzel painted the famous ‘View of Hofgastein'. For several summers, Menzel and his family were our dear guests in Gastein.’ The artist found much to inspire him in these surroundings, and he produced numerous pencil studies of local buildings, interiors and countryfolk.
Several of the drawings that he made in the Gastein Valley were later used for a number of paintings and gouaches set in the town, notably the Corpus Christi Procession in Hofgastein of 1880, today in the Neue Pinakothek in Munich, and the Knife-Grinder’s Workshop at the Smithy in Hofgastein of 1881, now in the Kunsthalle in Hamburg.
Among comparable studies by Menzel of rustic farmhouses in the area of Hofgastein are drawings in the collections of the Hamburger Kunsthalle in Hamburg, the Museum Georg Schäfer in Schweinfurt and the Von der Heydt-Museum in Wuppertal. The last of these drawings depicts a wooden pipe-like construction – a sort of irrigation channel to carry fresh water from higher up the mountain to the side of the farmhouse – similar to that seen running across the centre of the present sheet.
This drawing, among the largest known landscape studies by the artist, once belonged to the Hamburg attorney and collector Albert Wolffson (1874-1913), who owned a significant group of some thirty-six drawings by Menzel. Almost all of these, including the present sheet, were lent by Wolffson to the epic memorial exhibition of Menzel’s work held at the National-Galerie in Berlin in 1905. In 1922 this same drawing was loaned by Wolffson’s widow to an important exhibition of Recent German Art at the Liljevalchs Konsthall in Stockholm.
By descent to his widow, Helene Marie Wolffson, Hamburg, in 1913
Her daughter, Elsa Helene Cohen
Sold by her on 31 December 1938 to Hildebrand Gurlitt, Hamburg
Wilhelm Grosshenig, Kunstaustellung Gerstenberger, Chemnitz, in May 1939, where acquired by a private collector
Thence by descent to a private collection, Badem-Württemberg
Anonymous sale, Berlin, Villa Grisebach, 1 June 2016, lot 208